Create a Sassy Chat Bot without a Single Line of Code
A few months ago, I was experimenting with easy ways to quickly create a chatbot without writing a single line of code. I stumbled upon Botlibre, an open source platform for developing artificially intelligent web applications.
Building the bot was super easy (you can chat with it here) and I ended up having a lot of fun with it! Here is a conversation my friend had with it:
For the purposes of this tutorial (and for sheer simplicity), we will be using Telegram to run our bot. This means you will need a Telegram account for this to work.
Step 1: Create the bot
- Download Telegram for your phone and sign up.
- To create a new bot, visit the BotFather.
- Type “/newbot” without the quotes and press Send.
- Choose a name for your bot (this does not have to be unique; can be changed later).
- Choose a handle for your bot (this is unique; cannot be changed later).
- Copy the token sent by the BotFather and remember to keep it a secret!
It should all look something like this:
Step 2: Hook it up to a bot engine
- Go to Botlibre.com and sign up.
- Click on “Bots” on the top menu.
- Create a new bot.
- Enter a Bot Name and under Template select the “Alice template”. Enter an Alias. You can leave everything else empty. Click on “Create”.
- Click Go to the Admin Menu.
- Click on Telegram and enter the token you received from the Botfather then click on “Connect”.
You can now send a message to the bot on Telegram and proceed to have an extremely funny conversation! Haffun! Here are some more screenshots of conversations we’ve been having (WARNING: NSFW content!)